Friday, November 7, 2008

33 Weeks: Goals

Weekly appointment and sono today. Baby A. is 4 lbs 10 oz and has dropped a bit. His head is low but I'm not presenting any signs that say labor is coming. Dr. said fluid is a little low again, but the baby's heart rate and movement are perfect and he's measuring on the bigger end of the scale for how far along we are, so she's not concerned. So, I will stay on bed rest, continue to push the fluids and count kicks.

She set some "goals" for us for the coming weeks. Tomorrow marks 33 weeks. If I go into labor between now and next Saturday, they will stop it with meds and administer steroids again for fetal lung development. So, our first goal is to get to 34 weeks. After that, they won't stop labor and Baby A. will be born. The hospital where our birth center is located has a policy that all babies born before 36 weeks go to the NICU. So, if he's born before 36 weeks, he will spend some time there.

Our second goal is to get to 36 weeks, which is still preterm labor (anything before 37) but at which point in time the NICU team would not be present at delivery, unless there's a complication. Anything after 37 weeks is term. They could induce after 36 weeks as well, depending on what's going on with me and Baby A.

So, we're just taking it one week at a time here!

5 comments:

Beth said...

We're thinking the best for you. Patrick's nanny is on bed rest, just started this week after a fall over one of the kid's toys, and she's got the same weekly goals. Just make it one more week...then another, so as I told her, hang in there kiddo!! And I loved being in labor - seriously, I was...hmm...maybe it was all the drugs?? - but I would do it again tomorrow, so you don't have anything to worry about!

Weazie said...

The Byrnes family is thinking of you!

The King Family said...

Hang in there Jaime. Not much longer and baby will be here. Just take it easy and don't worry. Things will be fine. Just follow doctors orders and try not to get too bored. It's all worth it in the end.. Thinking of you. Keep us posted

Anonymous said...

You're almost there! I'm thinking of you and hope the weeks fly by.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you already know, but if you are going to deliver early Syracuse is the place to be. It's good to hear Baby A is already 4lbs10oz, Jacob came home after 3 weeks their at 4lbs13oz, so Baby A is way ahead of the pack. Keep following Dr's orders and I am sure you guys will do great!