Friday, October 31, 2008

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, from the yummy candy to dressing up in ridiculous costumes. I love it! I usually decorate the house with our fall and Halloween-themed knick knacks on Oct. 1. Since I wasn't on bed rest at that point, the decorations are out and the Happy Halloween sign is hanging on the front porch. Mission accomplished!

Since moving into our house in 2006, we started a tradition of hosting an annual costume party for friends and family. 2006 and 2007 had pretty high turn out and the costumes were so creative and fun. We held a contest last year and awarded 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes based on votes cast by our party goers.

CJ and I usually start thinking about our costume (and yes, we also include the dogs) a few months in advance. I was so excited to be pregnant this year for Halloween and started thinking of ideas earlier this summer. Of course, being pregnant also means losing your mind (just wait, you'll see) and not retaining facts or figures that you might have heard just minutes before your brain completely goes to mush. So, after a few months, I totally forgot about Halloween or costume ideas.



Oct. 1 came and went, and we realized we hadn't made any plans for a party this year and decided to forgo it. It would be one less thing to do, on top of my shower, prepping our home for the baby's pending arrival and everything else that keeps us busy in the fall. Plus, at the start of the third trimester my energy level was waining and since I'm usually the party planner, food and beverage organizer and costumer, I knew I didn't have it in me this year.

It's also a blessing in disguise that we decided not to throw it, since I was put on bed rest a week after deciding to nix the party.

Since I won't be dressing up this year or throwing or attending any parties, I thought I'd share some photos of Halloweens past to put me in the spirit. CJ and I have tried to be creative with our costumes even before we held the annual party. I was always satisfied with the results, partially because he usually ends up more embarrassed than me with the costume he has to sport. Ha ha!

I hope everyone has a HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Dress up and eat a ton of candy for me!

2001: CJ came to visit me during my senior year at Syracuse. I was a butterfly and he was a bumble bee. I made the costumes myself, even ironing on his stripes. I can't find any photos of my costume or one of us together (this was pre-digital camera era) but I did find this gem!

2003: (I don't think we dressed up in D.C. in 2002, and if we did I can't find any photographic evidence. Again, pre-digital stone age!) This costume was for a bar crawl in midtown D.C. with our friends Colleen and Brandon. Costumes = 1/2 price admission to the bars, so we threw on some of CJ's old soccer jerseys and called it a costume. Yay, OHS!

2004: This is the year we really got into planning our costumes. CJ threw a going away party for me on Halloween, right before I moved back to Syracuse from D.C. In case you can't figure it out, we are the hot couple of Fall 2004 - Britney Spears and Kevin Federline. They had just tied the knot right before this. I think CJ made the perfect K-Fed!



2005: We attended a friend's Halloween party as Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. CJ is such a good sport!

2006: Our first Halloween party at the house. I don't think I need to tell you who we are...but this one did incorporate the doggies!






2007: Second annual party at the house. Quincy is Woodstock (and totally NOT enjoying it!)

Arli is The Great Pumpkin...
And we are Lucy and Charlie Brown

2 comments:

Jerri said...

holy costumes batman! i'm so impressed! hope the pregnancy continues to go well and please take care of yourself. love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, this post is hilarious!